Welcome!

Thank-you for exploring the field of of Instructional Design with me.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Connectivism


 
My mind map is too small for this page, so click here to view the document in Google Docs. Make sure to click on the thumbnail once you are on the Google Docs page to enlarge the image. My network is divided into three categories: formal learning, career, and informal learning. The mind map is a great tool, and helped me to define the different components of my personal learning network as described by connectivism.

Reflection:
How has your network changed the way you learn?
My network now relies heavily on outside resources and technology.  Because of this, I am able to connect to an abundance of information (Siemens, n.d.) In the past, my learning was dependent on a single instructor, in a face to face classroom and I did not have much say in how the content was presented.  Now, I am able to choose the best sources (either technological or otherwise) that work with my learning style, and that deliver the most pertinent information to the topic I am studying. I can choose which topics I would like to research further and access that information more easily. 
Which digital tools best facilitate learning for you?
For my formal education, the digital tools that have been the most beneficial are podcasts, flash-based videos, and mind-maps. I create mind maps most frequently when I am reading my course text, or other course material. This helps me to create and see links between concepts. For my informal learning or career, I use search engines and websites to seek out specific information.
I have also found that discussion boards, whether used for informal or formal learning, are great ways for me to gain knowledge from experts in the virtual world.
How do you gain new knowledge when you have questions?
I usually begin with an online search engine when I have questions, and I look for websites, articles or books that are available on the topic I am interested in.  
I also seek out knowledgeable individuals who may be able to answer my questions. I may have to seek  out answers through discussion boards, email, blogs, or video podcasts. Luckily, I am able to ask questions in my cohort through the Walden University discussion board, and I am also able to access university resources when needed.
In what ways does your personal learning network support or refute the central tenets of connectivism?
          The tenets of connectivism state: (Davis, Edmunds, Kelly-Bateman, 2008)
          1. Learning rests in a diversity of opinions
          2. Learning is a process of connecting specialized information sources
          3. Learning may reside in non-human appliances
          4. Nurturing and maintaining connections is needed to facilitate continual learning
          5. Connections can be made between fields, ideas, and concepts
          6. Connections are current and provide up-to-date information
My learning network supports tenet one because I use search engines and discussion boards to seek out information. A search engine holds millions of diverse opinions from many different  perspectives, and discussion boards contain unique individuals with their own experiences and thoughts to share. My learning network also supports tenets three and four because I find a variety of sources that are related to my topic of interest, and many of my sources are computer-based. Tenets four, five, and six can also be seen within my network because I am using my connections everyday to support and stay up to date in my formal learning, informal learning, and my career.
References:
Davis, C., Edmunds, E., & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). Connectivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives        on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from: http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Connectivism
Siemens, G.Connectivism. (n.d.) [Video podcast]. Retrieved from: www.waldenu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment